| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: POCI 2010
POCI 2010 13 Years, 9 Months ago  
In the interest of getting something out sooner, the following is part of an expanded report that will eventually be posted under "Articles". The press of recuperating from a hectic "vacation" week in Charleston and getting back to the daily grind has delayed posting this and photo's, but they be up soon.

Report From POCI 2010

I just returned from the Pontiac-Oakland Club International Convention in Charleston, West Virginia. The weather was hot, but clear most of the week (except for a storm front passage on Friday).
This is only the second Convention I've had the pleasure of attending, and the only one I can compare it to is Dayton 2009. As that was a joint gathering with the GTOAA, it was the largest all-Pontiac event in history. The gathering at Charleston, though about half the size, was well worth the trip.

The downtown Charleston venue, with the host hotel fronting on the river, was an attractive setting. The city had blocked off a stretch of the Kanawha Boulevard, which lines the river levee, for a distance of about 8-10 blocks, along which were parked all of the Popular Vote cars (as well as the Points Judged cars on Friday & Saturday). The Points Judged cars – about 80 vehicles - were in the Civic Center from Wednesday through Friday morning, where the judging took place.

Several heroes of Pontiac history were in attendance – Arnie “the Farmer” Beswick, Jim Wangers, and Marvin Panch – winner of the 1961 Daytona 500 with the same 1960 Pontiac that he raced there. All three of these gentlemen were great ambassadors for the Pontiac hobby, generous with their time signing autographs, sharing stories, and just hanging out. Arnie & Jim each conducted an informative seminar. Arnie’s centered on his legendary career in Pontiac drag racing, and the development of a Ram Air V engine race car. Jim Wangers gave an analysis of the causes and responsible parties for the death of the Pontiac brand. He later told me that his talk will be available on DVD, and I encouraged him to turn it into a book. Fascinating stuff from a real insider. As a side note, if you’re into Pontiac’s from the ‘60’s (and if you’re not, what the hell are you doing here?) Wangers’ book Glory Days is an absolute must-read.

Friday was the scheduled day for some 1/8 mile racing at the local drag strip, sponsored by Wangers and featuring Beswick’s cars, but a passing weather front forced cancellation.

More to follow.....
OldInjun
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:POCI 2010 13 Years, 9 Months ago  
Jack-
I am going to have to put you on double secret probation. How can you leave us hanging for a week without the photos for the POCI 2010
BigBrother
graphgraph

Re:POCI 2010 13 Years, 9 Months ago  
Guilty as charged. Been busy at work, trying to catch up from the week at POCI.
Click the link below for convention photo's. Some inside the Civic Center are of poor quality - combination of low light levels and my lack of experience with a new camera. (Some of us who had cars being judged were grateful for the poor lighting - it hides a multitude of sins!)

POCI 2010 Convention photo's
OldInjun
Admin
graph

Go to topPage: 1
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group