| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

cam and engine rebuild advice
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: cam and engine rebuild advice
cam and engine rebuild advice 8 Years, 11 Months ago  
Fellow 2+2 Owners,

I have a 66 with correct 421 and am in process of rebuilding/restoring car. Wish to know your thoughts on cam preference. Should I stay with Pontiac grind 066,67 or 68. If I went with 068 would the idle be significantly rough vs 066 or 067? Do not plan to race car but would like added performance but not sacrifice relatively smooth idle. Car is auto/air/ps/pb with 291 rear gear. Also, would you go with electronic ignition vs points. That could be done with pertronix unit and still look stock.Also, would you install electronic choke and can that be done on stock carter carb and still look stock. I do have 308 posi rear am considering installing.

Your thoughts, experience and any advice would be most appreciated as I wish to make this a really nice 2+2.
mfrankl225
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:cam and engine rebuild advice 8 Years, 11 Months ago  
You'll have a higher and rougher idle with the 068 cam, so if you are not looking for top performance go with a less aggressive grind. You're not going to get much street performance anyway with the 2.91 gear. If the current rear isn't posi, I'd swap for the 3.08. Otherwise, the slight difference in ratio isn't worth the swap. You'd want to go at least 3.42 to notice much difference.
I like the Pertronix option - trouble free & stock appearing. I've got it on all my cars except for the race car.
For stock appearance, stay with the mechanical choke.
Good luck & happy driving!
OldInjun
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group