| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

4 speed transmision changeover
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: 4 speed transmision changeover
4 speed transmision changeover 12 Years, 1 Month ago  
Hello I am a new member and a new 2+2 owner I have a 1966 421 with tri power auto and would like to change to a 4 speed.
I have talked to a couple of transmission guys and they said the best way would be to get a donor car which I have been looking for. The car came with a 421 with a 4 barrell carb and as history has been told it was raced at the drag strip by a pontiac sevicman and the engine was changed to what it is today the engine code says it is a 66 but should be a manual shift. that being said (not having the origanal engine I do not have heartburn in putting in a 4 speed.The car is a strong number 2 but if you ask me while you are standing in front of the car I will tell you that I think it is a 1 -.It is nitghwatch blue with black interior factory air with bucket seats and electric windows.So I am throwing this out there to see if anyony can help me out with some ideas
Thanks
Toby
pttoby
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:4 speed transmision changeover 12 Years, 1 Month ago  
Donor car is one way to go, but most will have been stripped of the parts you need to change to manual. Suggest you try Steve at Indiana Pontiacs (see links tab), and post in the classifieds on Performance Years & Classical Pontiacs (links section again).
It will be a different car - and much more fun to drive - with a 4-speed. Best of luck in your search.
OldInjun
Admin
graph

Re:4 speed transmision changeover 12 Years, 1 Month ago  
toby;
i just finished this change-over.. it was expensive but WELL worth the hassle and expense. a doner car is the way to go. les @ pontaic paradise was a HUGE help. i got the console from him (expensive) and plenty of advise. another BIG help was jon @ kajun enterprises in texas. i have leads for you on all of this as i co-stared in the movie. the hardest parts to find were the 4 speed linkage rods. it was easier to find "low calorie, sugar free herion than these rods. the muncie transmission needs to be a "long tail shaft". the gto had a "short" tailshaft. this can be converted. you need a muncie M-20. the clutch / brake pedals are hard to find but i know where some are. call or email me and i'll help yu as much as i can. you'll LOVE the result;
paul jamieson
(818) 209-6590
paulbjamieson@hotmail.com
big block jamo
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group