| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Numbers Matching
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Numbers Matching
Numbers Matching 13 Years, 4 Months ago  
How can I verify that my 65 2+2 is numbers matching.
Thanks in advance.
stcreek0
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Numbers Matching 13 Years, 4 Months ago  
check both A. the number plaque on the driver's side door and B. the firewall to see if they match. . Notice also, to see if the rivets holding either plaque been disturbed or replaced. Also. look for the packing sheet listing the 2 + 2 options on your car, which was placed by the factory line under the springs of one of the bucket seats. (most likely passenger side) or tucked between the gas tank and trunk floor.
You can also do a title search in the state/states where the car was registered to see how far back it was listed as a 2+2 (gives a good picture of true mileage too..) You can also check the engine block codes WG, WH, WK to see if it was an original 421 and HO car. Oother clues include die-electric pattern on the seats etc to see if they are correct for a 2+2. (they are different for each year) If 2+2 badges on front, side or trunk or under some hoods on the right fan shroud look newish, ask why. Checking the trans axle may tell whether your car had positraction. Finally, look up "PHS" Pontiac Historical Services to match your numbers and receive (for a fee) a list of your car's original options and original dealership it was sold from. I've done all these things for my 65 convertible. Please chime in anyone one for any further ideas, corrections to my comments, or experiences (this is an important topic that yields much information when restoring, showing, buying or selling your car)
John in Maryland
john
graphgraph

Re: Numbers Matching 13 Years, 4 Months ago  
PHS documentation is critically important in verifying the pedigree of any classic Pontiac (see the link under the Articles tab, Pontiac General, on this site). We are extremely fortunate that the old Pontiac records are available. Try finding the same thing on an old Corvette - it just doesn't exist. I'm always surprised when someone tells me they've owned their Pontiac for years, but never got the PHS papers.
In addition to John's pointers above, check the name badge on the passenger-side dash. It should read "Pontiac" - not Catalina - on a 2+2. The name "Catalina" doesn't appear anywhere on a '65 2+2.
OldInjun
Admin
graph

Re:Numbers Matching 13 Years, 4 Months ago  
Thanks for the responses.
I do have a PHS that verifies the car’s VIN as a 65 2+2. It is very original so I am convinced it is.
The engine code is YH, which also verifies that it’s a 421 4bbl.
Above the YH, are the numbers 716819. I don’t know what these represent.
Is there any way to connect the engine and tranny with the car directly via codes.
It would be cool to find out.
Thanks
stcreek0
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/10/12 12:51 By stcreek0.

The 716819 is the engine block serial number - no connection to the VIN. They didn't stamp the VIN on the block between 1964-67, so 2+2's of those years don't have a VIN on the engine.
Check the casting number on the rear of the block, adjacent to the distributor hole - Click here for link to Wallace Racing's excellent explanation & photo's on ID'ing Pontiac engines.That will tell you the date it was cast, which should be roughly a month before the car's assembly date. If the casting date seems correct, it's most likely the original engine.
As for the transmission, the VIN is stamped on the top of the case on a Muncie transmission. Unfortunately you need to drop the trannie to see it, unless a good mirror will fit well enough - I've not tried that. As for an auomatic, I don't know if that has a VIN stamping.
OldInjun
Admin
graph

I have a 66 2+2 and during the body restoration I did something dumb, I took the vin plate off the door jam so I could strip the paint underneath etc. Now the car is restored can you get the correct rivets to replace or what options do I have. I have had the metal tag in a drawer for 4 years, its time to put it back on. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Andy
Andy
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group