| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

New Member - Questions about my '64
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: New Member - Questions about my '64
New Member - Questions about my '64 8 Years, 6 Months ago  
Picked up '64, 389, 4 speed with 72K miles. Got original window sticker, owner's manual, warranty book with plate.

Car runs and drives very nicely, interior is in excellent condition, power brake will put you through the windshield! It has the 8 lug wheels and came with a couple extra drums as well as some other parts.

There are some rust holes in the front fenders and around the rear fender wells. The paint is worn off in some spots on the roof and trunk/rear fenders. The seller told me it was one of 3200 made.

So, I have a couple questions. What trans would be in it, Muncie? M20 or M21 maybe?

The car has manual steering but actually steers quite easy. I would like to install A/C (Vintage Air?) as it gets pretty hot around here (been 100+ many times this summer) and I want to drive this car a lot. Also thinking about converting to a 5 speed for better gas mileage on the freeway.

I don't think either of those mods will affect the value of the car as they could easily be switched back to stock. Even though I'm from New England originally, I've lived in California for over 30 years now and we don't have a lot of rusty cars out here (this car came from Illinois) so I'd really like to fix all the rust spots. The car would then no longer be "all original" so would it hurt the value? I've had a few people tell me to leave it as is.

I have a '63&1/2 Galaxie with a 450HP 390/4 speed that is my "hot rod" car so I'd like this car to be more of a cruiser that I can take on road trips but not too nice that I'd be worried about it all the time. I'll try to post more photos.

Thanks.
Chili Pepper
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New Member - Questions about my '64 8 Years, 6 Months ago  
How do I post a photo?
Chili Pepper
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/09/15 22:57 By Chili Pepper.

Re:New Member - Questions about my '64 8 Years, 5 Months ago  
Chili -
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I just returned from a lengthy vacation in Greece, visiting family.

Congrats on your "new" 2+2!
The issue of maintaining originality vs. restoring can be controversial and any answers to your question will vary based on differing opinions - what follows only mine.
I believe in keeping collectible cars correct and in possession of as many original parts as possible. There is, however, a point where the appearance and value of the car suffers if left that way. As an example, my '65 coupe has a completely original interior, EXCEPT for the carpet. I have the car points judged regularly, and the original carpeting - though acceptable on a "driver" - was just not up to judging standards. On cars like yours where there is visible rust (especially if the panels are rusted through), I vote for restoration of the parts in question. The only time I would make an exception is if the car is a TRUE survivor, and the rust does not significantly detract from its appearance.
Regarding the addition of A/C, it will definitely add to the comfort factor, but take care to avoid chopping holes or permanent modifications which can't be reversed. Same advice regarding the 5-speed conversion. I'm doubtful that you can accomplish that without modifying the flooring to fit the larger trans.
The trans is either a Borg-Warner T10 or Muncie M20 or M21), depending on production date. I refer you to this link for more details.
Please do post photo's! You can post up to 20, but take note of the space limitations: 20 items totaling 20000 Kbytes - single upload size 1500 Kbytes. Check the "Resizing Digital Photo's" post under the Article / Miscellaneous tab - or click this link.
Welcome to the Registry!
OldInjun
Admin
graph

Thanks for the info.

There are rust through holes so I will get them fixed eventually. I will check with Vintage Air as I think they make an under dash unit so wouldn't have to cut anything.

The 389 is all stock and original so I dumped a can of lead additive when I filled up. Should I run that on every fill up? I know you can burn up the valves with unleaded gas if they don't have the hardened seats.

I also have to dump a little gas into the carb to get it fired up after it sits overnight which is kind of a pain. I'm thinking gas is bleeding out the bowls? Would a carb rebuild solve that? I was thinking I may have to go to an electric fuel pump.

I drove it to San Diego last weekend (about 100 miles, one way) and won "Best Survivor" award. Car ran great but needs shocks and tires. The tires are old Sears bias plies and are probably pretty old. I didn't go over 65 with them because of the age.

The tach shows 3K RPM at 65 MPH. Seems to cruise fine but would like to lower it. I am going to check with Tremec as they make exact fit 5/6 speeds supposedly for any car.
Chili Pepper
graphgraph

The amount these cars get driven does not usually cause a problem with valve recession due to unleaded gas. I think that is a highly overrated issue. I've driven my '65 over 25,000 miles in the last 6 years with no ill effects - including drag racing.

Carb rebuild should solve that. I recommend this company .

I wouldn't take a chance on those tires if they're 10 years old or more.

Have fun with the car!
OldInjun
Admin
graph

Cool! I can run pump gas then. Makes things a lot easier.

I was thinking I might have to convert to a throttle body EFI set up but they are pretty pricey. Guess I'll do the carb rebuild first and see how that works.

Tire have to be replaced. They look cool but too risky to drive on. Have to check around for best replacements. I think Coker makes bias ply tires but may go ahead and just get decent radials. Probably will ride and drive a lot better.

I'm a '70s guy (graduated high school in '74) so I like to have some big tires and am tempted to also go with some Torque Thrusts or Cragers although I like the stock finned drums too. They are only 14" wheels though and would like to go to 15's and maybe disk brake conversion. Decisions, decisions!
Chili Pepper
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group